Often, though not always, the abuser is already known to the person they attack.
Nobody invites rape or incest.
Rape and sexual assault are always the responsibility of the attacker.
Everybody’s reaction is unique; whatever feelings you may be having are valid, however if you have been raped or sexually assaulted as an adult and/or as a child you might be experiencing some or all of the following:
- A sense of powerlessnessFeeling numb or confused
- Shock and disbelief
- Fear and nervousness
- Feelings of disconnectedness – ‘zoning out’ of the world around you
- Self defeating behaviour such as drinking too much alcohol, taking drugs, or other forms of self-harm
- Flashbacks and nightmares
- Panic attacks
- Fear of not being believed
- Self-doubt and low self-esteem
Remember, there is a wide range of reactions to rape and sexual assault. Talking to someone about how you are feeling might be helpful