What is sexual abuse?
Sexual abuse is when contact or behavior occurs without the consent of the person this is directed towards
Some forms of this may be
- Attempted rape
- Unwanted sexual touching
- Forcing upon someone sexual acts including oral sex
- Penetration of the victims body, also called rape
What is rape?
Rape is a form of sexual assault but not all sexual assault is rape.
Rape is by definition ‘
Sexual abuse can come in many forms;
- Child sexual abuse – Child sexual abuse encapsulates ANY sexual activity between a child/adolescent and an adult, with or without physical touch. Click here for more information about Child Sexual abuse
- Incest – Incest is unwanted sexual contact between two members of the same family that wouldn’t be legally allowed to marry.
- Multi-perpetrator sexual assault (also called gang rape)
- Ritual abuse – Abuse that occurs in the context linked to some symbols or group activity that have religious, magical or supernatural connotation and where the invocation of these symbols or activities, repeated over time, is used to frighten and intimate children. All of this is conducted for the purpose of control so that the abusers can systematically sexually abuse children. Click here for more information about Ritual abuse.